The Long Beach Unified School District Student Support Services Division aims to provide schools the resources to meet the LGBTQ Student Rights in Long Beach Unified School District. In California, public schools are legally mandated to follow education code that supports LGBTQ+ students, and ensure that schools are safe, and inclusive learning environments.
Long Beach Unified School District policies and practices affirm California education code. We strive to provide school communities that are safe, affirming and supportive for all students.
It is our responsibility to:
- Treat students equally, prevent and respond to reports of bullying, harassment, and discrimination, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. (LBUSD Board Policy 5162; California Education Code Section 200-220)
- Respect students' dress and behavior that does not conform to stereotypes associated with their gender, with respect to the student dress code. (California Education Code Section 221.5)
- Provide LGBTQ-inclusive social studies, history and comprehensive sexual health education. (California Education Code Section 51204.5, and 51930-51939)
- Refer students by the gender pronoun and name that fits their gender identity. (California Education Code Section 221.5)
- Provide access to school activities, spaces such as locker rooms and restrooms, that fit with their gender identity. California Education Code Section 221.5)
- Implement and provide access to gender-neutral restrooms, dress code policies, and classroom practices. (LBUSD Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Student Policy)
- Provide students opportunities to speak out about LGBTQ issues, including wearing LGBTQ-affirming t-shirts, stickers and bracelets, and access information about LGBTQ issues on school computers, and to bring same-gender dates to prom. (California Education Code Sections 48907 & 48950)
- Support the formation of Genders & Sexualities Alliance (GSA) clubs or similar LGBTQ-related student clubs. (Federal Equal Access Act; California Education Code Section 220)
- Respect student’s individual choice to be "out" and be themselves at school, and seek their permission of when and to whom staff can discuss their LGBTQ identity. (LBUSD Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Student Policy)
- Recognize student’s consent to sensitive LGBTQ or sexual health-related services without seeking permission from caregiver/parent, if they are age 12 or older. (California Health and Safety Code 124260; SB 543; California Family Code 6924)
Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Student Policy
Unofficial Name Change Form - Student Request
Unofficial Name Change Form - Parent Request