Skip to main content
Long Beach Unified School District Logo

Frequently Asked Questions

General Information

  • Non-standard technology (hardware or software systems or configurations) will not be connected to the District Wide-Area Network (WAN) or Intranet without review and approval by the District’s Network Administrator.
  • Only District-standard networking equipment, servers and configurations for networking equipment and servers will be approved for use within the District.
  • The District reserves the right to reject any technology that poses an unacceptable risk to the safety or security of students, employees or financial assets of the District.
  • Buyouts for non-standard technology must be justified. Technology & Information Services and Purchasing will review the justification before the buyout is processed.

General Questions & FAQ's

Q: Does the District have a 'Tech Plan'? If so, where can I get a copy?

A: The District Tech Plan can be downloaded here. Technology Plan

Q: Can I get an employee discount on a computer?

A: Many vendors including HP, Apple, Sprint, Verizon and AT&T have discounts available for LBUSD employees. Please contact the Help Desk for details.

Q: What is the procedure for donated equipment?

A: Information about Donating Equipment.

Q: I received a new computer. Can I install it myself?

A: No. The District uses an 'imaging' process to configure all computers attached to the LBUSD network. This imaging process ensures that every computer complies with the District's as well as state and federal requirements for reporting, security and audit controls. All computers connected to the District network and/or serviced by the District must be installed with and continue to run a standardized District image as approved by Technology & Information Services. See the 'District Technology Use Plan' and 'Internet and Electronic Mail Guidelines and Procedures'.

Q: Does the District have guidelines related to using personal or 'home' computers within the District?

A: Guidelines related to the use of Home Computers on the District Network.

Q: What is the process that I need to follow for lost/stolen/vandalized equipment?

A: Guidelines for Lost/Stolen or Vandalized Equipment

Q: What do I do with obsolete equipment? I want to get it out of my location it's taking up a lot of space!

A: Obsolete equipment can be transferred to the District "Surplus Warehouse". Use a standard equipment transfer form (form BD629) and show the equipment transferred to site 242 - Surplus Warehouse. In the 'REASON' section indicate that 'the equipment is obsolete'. Send the form in and Transportation will come out and pickup your equipment!

Q: I've been told that my equipment (computer, printer, monitor, etc.) is 'unrepairable' and is being salvaged by the District. How do I get replacement equipment?

A: When computer equipment cannot be repaired (for instance, parts are no longer available) or when it is too costly to repair it (the repairs would exceed 50% of the replacement cost) then it is 'salvaged'. There is no budget to replace salvaged equipment and therefore it is up to the site to fund the replacement.

Q: Who do I call? When I have computer problems, technology requirements or just general questions WHO DO I CALL?

A: All technology related questions and problems can be reported to the Technology & Information Services Help Desk at x8411or 'HelpDesk' in Outlook.

Tablet Computers & iPads FAQ's

Q: What is the process for getting tablet computers or iPads?

A: Information on purchasing iPads and tablet computers can be found in the 'What To Buy' section. In addition, here are some considerations that you will need to address as part of a tablet purchase:

  • Will these devices be for teachers, students, both?
  • Is this a "take home" program where the devices will be used off campus? If so, there will need to be an acknowledgement of liability
  • What are the applications envisioned that will need to be on the devices? Do you know what the cost of this additional software is?
  • Tablet computers and iPads are wireless devices, do you have sufficient wireless capacity in those areas where you plan to use them?
  • Who, on campus, is going to manage the devices in terms of logistics, such as, check-in/check-out, inventory?
  • What type of support is going to be needed to make the project successful, such as, professional development?

Tablets, such as iPads, are a different and unique technology with unique needs and we will want to be sure that all of the questions are asked and answered so that there are no surprises (or at least fewer of them) down the road.

Networking FAQ's

Q: Where should I save my files?

A: If you are attached to the District network (i.e. you 'login' to Novell every morning) you should have space on the network to save your files. By default, users are given an N: drive and an L: drive. The N: drive is your personal folder on the network. No one but you has access to files there. The L: drive is a shared drive that everyone is your 'area' can access. Your area will be your department or school. Teachers and staff on a campus cannot see the contents of each other's L: drive. Students do not have an L: drive. It is HIGHLY recommended that you save your files to either the N: or L: drive. Data in these areas is backed up each night. The contents of your C: drive is NEVER backed up. So, in the event of a hardware failure your data may be lost.

Q: Who do I call? When I have computer problems, technology requirements or just general questions WHO DO I CALL?

A: All technology related questions and problems can be reported to the Technology & Information Services Help Desk at x8411or 'HelpDesk' in Outlook.

Internet & E-Mail FAQ's

Q: Our site maintains our own web page. Does the District have any standards or guidelines that should be followed for content?

A: Guidelines for web page development and content can be found on the Forms and Downloads section of the Technology & Standards web page at Forms and Downloads

Q: How do I report a web site that I feel should be blocked or unblocked?

A: Please contact the Help Desk at x8411 or 'HelpDesk' in Outlook to report web sites that you feel should be blocked or unblocked.

Q: Where can I get user friendly documentation on using the District's student email system, NetMail?

A. Please visit for help with Outlook.

Q: What is SPAM and viruses and how does the District combat them?

A:The District makes extensive use of electronic mail (e-mail) to conduct its day to day business. There are more than 8,500 e-mail accounts currently in use by teachers, staff and administrators and the District processes in excess of 200,000 electronic mail messages per day. Numerous automated systems monitor and filter the District's e-mail services. In fact, over 93% of all e-mail is filtered due content, viruses and SPAM. The filtering services in use are state of the art; however, the Internet and e-mail are constantly evolving and new threats are discovered on a daily basis. Users of the District e-mail system need to be aware and vigilant of these potential threats and how to cope with and report them.


Spam is generally defined as unsolicited and unwanted e-mail. Just like junk mail sent to your home, SPAM sent to your e-mail address contains advertisements. Unlike junk mail however, SPAM is incredibly cheap to send. Thousands of SPAM messages can be sent from anywhere in the world for a few pennies. Unfortunately, most of the SPAM that you see comes from outside the United States. While there are federal laws concerning SPAM there is no international law or enforcement. What can you do? Try these simple steps first.

  1. Delete the message. There are limited resources that the District can allocate to preventing SPAM. If you receive an unsolicited message - delete it. If a SPAM message that you receive is offensive, threatening or obscene, forward it to the Help Desk ('HelpDesk' in Outlook) for review.
  2. Unsubscribe to the e-mail. Most SPAM e-mails contain a link that can be used to unsubscribe to their messages. Take a moment to follow the steps listed in the message to prevent future messages. If a SPAM e-mail does not have an unsubscribe link, or the link does not work, forward it to the Help Desk ('HelpDesk' in Outlook).
  3. Your District email account is provided to conduct business related to District operations. Do not provide you District email account to anyone, any web site or any entity not related to District business. So, if you receive email from a commercial web site, you will know if it is SPAM or not.
  4. If you would like more information, the Federal Trade Commission has excellent resources regarding SPAM at, click on "Consumers" and "Internet and e-Commerce".

Viruses are rampant on the Internet and e-mail is the most popular way of spreading viruses. District based anti-virus software is updated dozens of times per day but still, on occasion, viruses get through. Once your computer has a virus it is possible to spread it to other computers at your site. The result is lost productivity on your part and hundreds of man-hours for Technology & Information Services to scan and repair the damage. Viruses can be prevented in several simple ways.

  1. Do not open e-mail from a person that you do not know or any e-mail that you are not expecting if it contains an attachment (a paper clip icon in Outlook).
  2. If an e-mail is suspicious, contact the sender to see if they sent you an e-mail. Many viruses "impersonate" the sender. Just because an e-mail has John Doe as the sender does not mean that John Doe sent you the message or that their system has a virus.
  3. If you opened an e-mail and feel that it may have contained a virus or believe that your system may be infected, contact the Help Desk immediately (x8411 or 'HelpDesk' in Outlook). The Help Desk can walk you through the steps to scan your system for viruses.

Internet Filtering
The Federal Children's Internet Protection Act (CIPA) requires the District to take active measures to filter inappropriate Internet content. While this system is very comprehensive, it is not perfect. Some inappropriate sites do get through and some legitimate sites are blocked. Please contact the Help Desk at x8411 or 'HelpDesk' in Outlook to report web sites that you feel should be blocked or unblocked.

E-Mail Addressing

In Outlook, when you send an e-mail to another Outlook user (any LBUSD teacher, staff or administrator), you need only type the person's names on the TO: line. It is not necessary to know or type their 'Internet mail address' such as As you type the person's name on the TO: line, Outlook will attempt to find the closest match to a user in the address book. If you cannot find a user or do not know the correct spelling of their name, you can browse the Outlook address book by full name, last name, location, etc.

Using 'Internet addressing' to e-mail another Outlook user is also extremely inefficient. By doing this you are needlessly sending the message outside the District and on to Internet. The message is then returned to the District and sent on to the user. This not only slows down the delivery of your message. It also adds congestion to our Internet connection and servers used for processing Internet mail. In a recent review we found in excess of 10,000 messages per day needlessly being sent using Internet addressing. The Help Desk can be contacted at x8411 if you are unfamiliar with using the Outlook address book. In addition, the Teacher Resource Center and Technology & Information Services do offer Outlook training.

Appropriate Use

Electronic Mail is provided for staff and students to conduct research and communicate with others on academic topics and to engage in legitimate District business. In May 2002, the Board of Education approved the District Internet and Electronic Mail Guidelines and Procedures to govern the use of this tool. These guidelines can be viewed on the web at:

Television System FAQ's

Q: What type of services does the technical staff at Multimedia Services provide?

A: The technical staff at the Office of Multimedia Services (OMS) consists of two individuals, Craig Gernaey, chief radio-television engineer, and Blake MacIntosh, radio-television engineer. They can be reached at extension 7198 and provide sites with the following services:

  1. Assistance with district television reception problems and operating instructions.
  2. Audio/video equipment and setup for district-wide events.
  3. Assistance with the operation and interconnection of any audio/video equipment including: televisions, VCR's, video cameras, editing systems, and public address systems.

Q: What is (district television) and how can I view cable television programming?

A: is the new name for the district's thirty year old closed circuit television system. In a cooperative agreement with PrimeOne Tele-TV the district delivers four channels of curriculum and staff development to each school site on the following channels:

  • Channel 06 - Kindergarten through 8th grade curriculum.
  • Channel 08 - Kindergarten through 8th grade curriculum.
  • Channel 10 - High School curriculum.
  • Channel 12 - Staff Development channel.
  • Channel 23 - Possible future channel.

The programming for channels 6,8,10 and 12 originate from the Office of Multimedia Services, 880 Locust Avenue, extension 7198.

Local Cable Television Programming on Channel 3

The television signals from local cable operators are provided at no cost from Charter Communications in Long Beach and Signal Hill and MediaOne if your school is in Lakewood. All classrooms can view this single channel by putting the classroom television on channel 3.

Each month, OMS sends all schools a copy of "Cable in the Classroom" magazine which has the schedule for educational programming available on cable television. These programs are broadcast during early morning hours. The VCR installed in the digital television cabinet can be programmed to tape these programs automatically and these tapes can be played back during school hours. Any video tape played back from the VCR in the television equipment cabinet can be seen by all classrooms on channel 3. If you have programming or scheduling questions about either District television or cable television, please call Melanie Wallner at extension 7198.

If you have technical questions or would like on site operational training and instruction, please call either Blake or Craig at extension 7198.

Q: What should I do if I have television reception problems?

A: The first step is to determine if the problem is affecting the entire school site, building or a single classroom. The best way to determine if the problem affects the entire school is to have the head custodian or media assistant check the reception on the television in the digital television equipment cabinet at your school site.

Occasionally you may encounter either a frozen or black television picture. A frozen picture condition exists if you have no audio and the clock at the bottom of the screen shows an incorrect date and/or time and is no longer advancing during the period between programs. Either condition can be easily and quickly remedied. If you are a teacher and you notice either condition, please contact your head custodian or media assistant and request that he/she correct this. If you are planning to have your classroom view instructional television programming, please check your television for proper reception at least 30 minutes prior to the start of programming.

Procedure for Resetting Instructional Television

(Head custodians or media assistants should perform this procedure)

  1. Locate equipment rack and keys to unlock (Principal, Head Custodian, and/or Media Assistant).
  2. Verify problem on television within the rack.
  3. Depress round button (select menu) on ALL small black boxes five times.
  4. Verify problem resolution on television within the rack.

Steps for setting CABLE IN THE CLASSROOM

(Rack VCRs not in Lakewood Schools)

  1. Locate equipment rack and keys to unlock (Principal, Head Custodian, and/or Media Assistant).
  2. Select the channel to be viewed on the VCR located within the rack.
  3. Set VCR/TV in the classroom on channel 3 and set for timer record. Note: Channel selected on VCR within the rack can be viewed on channel 3 in the classroom.

If you are unable to restore a good picture and sound on channels 6,8,10 and 12, or local cable TV on channel 3, as viewed on the set in the television equipment cabinet, report this to Blake or Craig, at Multimedia Services, extension 7198. If reception at this cabinet is good, but bad elsewhere at your site, this indicates a problem with your wiring. In that case, your custodian should phone in a 3R ticket to Maintenance after determining all affected classrooms.

Q: How do I request audio/video equipment and setup for my conference or seminar?

A: The Office of Multimedia Services provides district wide event support. For information, call (562) 997-8000, ext. 7198.

Q: Are there any special considerations if I install a wall mounted television?

A: Many schools have recently installed wall mounted televisions or are planning future installations. In most cases, it will also be necessary to relocate the television signal wiring required to receive District instructional television in each classroom. Depending on the location, an additional electrical power outlet may also be required as extension cords are not permitted in the classrooms.

For those schools wishing to correct this situation, I have provided language that can be used on a "Request For Services" form:

"Please provide a cost estimate for parts and labor to extend the television signal wiring from the present locations up to the new wall mounted television locations in rooms_______________________. Also include the cable from the wall outlet to the television set." Justification: Required so that newly installed wall mounted televisions can continue to receive District instructional television programming.

If electrical power is also required, add this sentence: "Also include the cost for adding a dual electrical outlet near each wall mounted television in rooms:_______________________.

This work is performed by the Electric Shop at Maintenance. Typically, the cost per classroom is $200-300 for television signal wiring modifications and $500-600 if it also includes electrical power modifications. You will get the exact costs via the "Request For Services" process.

Walkie-Talkie FAQ's

Q: My radio won’t charge, what should I do?

A: Make sure the charger is plugged in and the light is on. Clean the charge contacts on the bottom or back of the radio with a rubber ink eraser. The battery may be old and needs replacement. Change the battery with a known good battery. Check the date on the battery, Motorola batteries have a 3 digit code such as 742. By adding a 9 at the beginning of the 3 digits you can read the date. 9742 means year 97 and 42 week. This battery should be replaced because it is over two years old.

Q: How do I get new batteries?

A: Most batteries are in the Standard Stock Catalog. However, if your battery is not in the catalog, contact Dewey Myers at ext. 7538 for battery vendors.

Q: Are there any special considerations if I install a wall mounted television?

A: About 2 years..


Department Info

Department Address
1515 Hughes Way
Long Beach, CA 90810

Help Desk
(562) 997-8411

Department Phone
(562) 997-8345