School bus drivers play an important role in helping children receive their education. For many students the school day begins with a safe and pleasant bus ride to school. To ensure the safety of everyone aboard the bus, the bus driver must focus his/her full attention on the road. The safety of all passengers depends upon the safe and proper conduct of each individual. School bus drivers receive specialized training to keep their passengers safe. School buses are specifically designed and equipped with unique standards designed for optimum passenger safety.
Getting on the school bus
- When waiting for the bus, stay away from traffic and avoid roughhousing or other behavior that can lead to carelessness. Do not stray onto streets, alleys or private property.
- Line up away from the street or road as the school bus approaches.
- Wait until the bus has stopped and the door opens before stepping toward the bus.
- Use the hand rail when stepping onto the bus.
Behavior on the bus
- When you board the bus, go directly to your seat and sit down.
- Loud talking or other noise can distract the bus driver and is not allowed.
- Never put head, arms or hands out of the window.
- Keep aisles clear -- books or bags are tripping hazards and can block the way in an emergency.
- Before you reach your stop, get ready to leave by getting your books and belongings together.
- At your stop, wait for the bus to stop completely before getting up from your seat. Then, walk to the front door and exit, using the handrail.
Rules for Getting On and Off the School Bus . . .
School Bus Danger Zone
Millions of children in the United States ride safely to and from school on school buses each day. Although school buses are the safest way to get them to school, an average of 33 school-age children die in school bus-related traffic crashes each year.
Most of those killed are pedestrians, five to seven years old. They are hit in the danger zone around the bus, either by a passing vehicle or by the school bus itself.
It is illegal for a car to pass a bus with its red lights flashing.