SB 57 - Early Completion Option (ECO)
- What is an Early Completion Option?
The Commission-approved Long Beach Unified School District Teacher Induction Program provides the Early Completion Option (ECO) to all qualifying program participants in accordance with Senate Bill 57 (Scott). An Early Completion Option in the Induction Program allows eligible, experienced and exceptional candidates to complete a Commission-approved professional induction program at a faster pace than the full two years generally required to complete all of the requirements of professional teacher induction. As with completion of the full-length induction program, completion of the ECO allows individuals the opportunity to earn their Professional Clear Credential.
- Who is eligible for the Early Completion Option?
To be eligible, candidates must have the following
- Hold an SB 2042 California Multiple Subject, Single Subject or Education Specialist Preliminary Credential or equivalent granted from the state of California
- Demonstrate exceptional teaching practice, as evidenced by successful completion of a first year of the Induction Program (including a panel portfolio review and classroom observation process)
- Have a minimum of two years of full-time experience as teacher of record in a private or public school, or as the teacher of record while in a university intern credential program (prior to entering the Induction Program)
- Two years of successful teaching experience verified by site administrator conducted performance evaluations on which the teacher received ratings of meets or exceeds standards. Evaluations are based upon the California Standards for the Teaching Profession, or the equivalent at the discretion of the Induction Coordinator
- How and when can I apply for the Early Completion Option?
Induction Candidates that meet the eligibility criteria and would like to apply for the Early Completion Option may participate in the application process at the end of their first year of the Induction Program. The Induction Coordinator will inform candidates of the timeline and necessary due dates.
To apply, candidates must submit the following:
- Early Completion Option application
- Personal statement (maximum 2 pages)
- Recommendations from the current site administrator/evaluator and mentor teacher (provided form)
- Certificated performance evaluations (2 years)
- Documentation of required teaching experience
- Successful Year 1 Portfolio for a panel review
- Participate in a classroom observation (lesson plan template will be provided)
- What does the Early Completion Option entail?
Induction Candidates that meet the eligibility criteria, complete the application process and are approved will not complete the second year of the Induction Program. Early Completion Option Candidates will be eligible to apply for their Professional Clear Credential at the conclusion of their first year in the program once all requirements are satisfied.