International Baccalaureate (IB) is offered at 3 school sites in the Long Beach Unified School District. IB is an academically rigorous program that focuses on developing global learners with strong critical, creative, social and academic skills. International Baccalaureate:
- Offers a continuum of education, consisting of three individual programs spanning K-12. The Primary Years Program, which is offered in elementary, focuses on the development of the whole child. The Middle Years Program, provided to students in 6th – 10th grade, emphasizes meeting academic challenge and the development of life skills. The Diploma Program, offered in 11th and 12th grade, is an academically rigorous 2-year program that leads to final examination and qualification. Students that receive the IB Diploma receive college credit and are prepared to attend leading colleges and universities.
- Provides high quality curriculum and instruction representative of the best practices from many different countries. The challenging Diploma Program assessment is recognized by the world's leading universities. The International Baccalaureate Organization maintains high standards by actively training and supporting teachers, and by authorizing and evaluating IB schools in Long Beach.
- Encourages international-mindedness. IB students develop an understanding of their own cultural and national identity, as well as learn about major global concepts and issues. Students learn a second language and the skills to live and work with others internationally—essential for life in the 21st century.
- Encourages a positive attitude to learning by encouraging students to ask challenging questions, to reflect critically, to develop research skills, and to learn how to learn. Community service is encouraged because IB believes that there is more to learning than academic studies alone.
Learn more about IB in LBUSD
- Hudson K-8 School
Hudson is currently an authorized Primary Years Program and a Middle Years Program school. The goal of the IB program is to help students become creative, resourceful, global citizens who will create a more peaceful world.
- David Starr Jordan High School
Jordan High School offers both the Middle Years Program (grades 9-10) and the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (grades 11-12). Jordan’s IB DP is the only one offered in the district.
International Baccalaureate Organization Website